This is an easy to make apple cranberry stuffing I typically make for the holidays. The flavors are balanced so that the cranberry isn’t overpowering. We use dried cranberries because they aren’t overpowering. I don’t like stuffing, but I like this stuffing. My hubby feels the same way.
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 cups coarsely chopped leeks or onions
- 3 tart apples – peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 4 teaspoons poultry seasoning (I usually make my own but you can use a store bought blend)
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 12 cups white bread cubes, baked until slightly dry (or store bought stuffing bread)
- 1 1/3 cups chicken stock
- salt and black pepper to taste
Briefly boil the dried cranberries and then drain to reconstitute them.
Cook the sausage over medium heat, crumbling coarsely, for about 10 minutes (browned). Spoon into bowl and empty pan of remaining grease.
Melt butter in the same pan. Add leeks/onions, celery, apples and poultry seasoning. Sauté until softened, about 10 minutes. Add rosemary, cranberries, and cooked sausage. Mix all with dried bread cubes, and moisten with chicken stock.
Bake in a casserole dish, covered for at 350 degrees F/175 degrees C for about 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes to brown.
© honey the monster 2019
The Goodnight Vienna Audio file