- 2.5 kg ripe medlars
- 600g unripe medlars
- 3 small unripe apples or 20 crab apples
- 3 lemons
- 3 litres water
- 1.5 kg granulated sugar
- Pinch of saffron
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 ground cloves
- Clean medlars by removing any stalks and leaves, chop in half.
- Cut the lemons and apples into quarters. Put all the fruit and spices into a large saucepan.
- Pour water in and bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for an hour. Every 15 mins squash the fruit with a wooden spoon to release the flavours and pectin.
- Pour the lot into a jelly bag hung over a large bowl. Leave it for 12 hours to let the juice drip out. Squeeze the remaining moisture out gently.
- Put the juice into a saucepan and boil hard for 7 minutes. Add the sugar, bring back to the boil and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Boil hard for another 10 minutes.
- When the mixture has cooled, pour or ladle into clean glass jars and seal. This will make a soft set jelly.
© Madam Revenant 2019
The Goodnight Vienna Audio file