GP’s 2017 Advent Calendar of Cuisine
For the mincemeat
- 100g/3½oz currants
- 100g/3½oz raisins
- 100g/3½oz sultanas
- 100g/3½oz dried cranberries
- 100g/3½oz dried apricots, chopped
- 50g/1¾oz mixed peel
- 1 large cooking apple, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 75g/2¾oz butter, cubed
- 25g/1oz whole blanched almonds, roughly chopped
- 125g/4oz light muscovado sugar
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest and juice of half a lemon
- 100ml/3½fl oz brandy, rum or sherry
For the pastry
- 175g/6oz plain white flour
- 1½ tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- 100g/3½oz butter, cubed, plus extra for greasing
For the topping
- fresh cream or brandy butter
- For the mincemeat, place the currants, raisins, sultanas, cranberries, apricots, mixed peel, apple, butter, almonds, sugar, cinnamon, mixed spice, lemon zest and juice into a large pan and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, leave to cool, then stir in the brandy, rum or sherry.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6 (fan 180C) and grease a 23x33cm/9x13in Swiss roll tin or equivalent.
- For the pastry, sift the flour and icing sugar into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add just sufficient cold water to mix to a firm dough – if you prefer this can be made in a processor. If time allows, wrap the dough in cling film and chill for about 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry to a rectangle slightly larger than the prepared tin, then line the base and sides of the tin with pastry.
- Trim the pastry level with the top edges of the tin and patch any gaps if necessary.
- Spread the mincemeat evenly over the pastry base.
- To make the topping, melt the butter and allow this to cool slightly.
- Put the remaining ingredients into a bowl and pour the melted butter over. Mix together until the ingredients combine to form a dough. If time allows, chill this mixture – this makes grating easier.
- Using a coarse grater, grate the topping over the mincemeat and spread evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden-brown.
- Cut into 16 slices, dust with icing sugar and serve warm with cream or brandy butter.
© Moscow Fred 2017